There’s so much more to fashion than Gucci and Prada, and we, for one, are more than happy about it. Because that means there’s a place in that world for ordinary people who have a knack for creating something unique but don’t have a big brand name to support them (yet). In fact, there’s actually a strong demand for individuals who see regular pieces of clothing as a canvas that’s just waiting for a splash of originality.
In other words, if you’ve got skills and your mind is bursting with intriguing designs, and you are looking for a side hustle, making custom pieces of clothing like hoodies might be the answer you seek. Or, if you are a business person wanting to expand their offer, custom hoodies can introduce you to a whole new customer pool.
Care to learn more about this lucrative idea? Read on to uncover every little detail about making custom hoodies UK-style.
You probably already know this, but making a few personalised hoodies for your family for Christmas and actually starting your own business is not the same. So, if you are serious about showing the world your designs or growing your business, there are some necessary steps you must take to ensure your success. Here are some of them:
It’s fairly easy to find a company that sells bulks of blank hoodies. But finding a reliable supplier who helps you make good decisions and delivers only the best-quality apparel? Not so much. So, you want to look for a company that is willing to advise you on the best materials for your designs, the reasonable amount you should order, etc.
At Hoodies4Leavers, we are firm believers in “your success is our success”. That means we will do our best to set you up with only the finest merch. Moreover, we will share our wisdom until you get the perfect final product.
Cropped hoodies, cut-out hoodies, hooded ponchos, hooded dresses — there are so many different types of hoodies you can use for your designs. Still, not everything will work with what you had in mind. So, the best thing to do is browse through our offer and pick out several models that call out to you. Then give us a call, and our team will discuss printing possibilities and whether these hoodies fit your designs.
Aside from the perfect model, you need a suitable fabric that complements your design. Custom hoodies are usually made of polyester, nublend, fleece, or cotton, and each of these materials has its pros and cons. For instance, thinner fabrics don’t go well with embroidery, so if you want to be able to use your skills, you might want to order thicker materials like cotton.
There are several printing techniques you can utilise to make your custom hoodies. Let’s take a look at them:
- Embroidery. This is a great skill that allows you to create one-of-a-kind designs, giving you quite an edge over your competitors. On the other hand, the process is fairly slow, which will probably affect the number of orders you can take, and in the end, your earnings.
- Textile painting. Another way to show off your artistic skills and steady hands. Also, the supplies are really cheap and can be bought in a local art supply shop. However, the process is done by hand and is very slow, as well.
- Screen printing. This is a fast printing method that gives quality results, but only if you have the proper equipment (which can be expensive to purchase). Still, you can always partner up with a printing company and have them deal with this part of the process.
- Sublimation printing. This refers to the process of transferring images from paper onto fabric using heat. Just like with screen printing, this technique requires the right machinery or at least a deal with your local printing company. Also, keep in mind that this method doesn’t work well with natural materials. So your custom printed hoodies will have to be made of polyblends or polyester.
Of course, every supplier has a minimum order requirement. Aside from that, you are free to order as many custom hoodies, embroidered or printed, as you think you can sell.
Hold up! The process isn’t over yet. When you complete your order, our team will create a mockup design and send it to you for review. If you like what you see, then we will proceed with the order. If not, we will work together until we make flawless custom embroidered hoodies.
Before you start stocking up on supplies and ordering hoodies in bulk, you need to think about how much money you can make with this business venture. Doing the calculations first is essential because it will help you set the correct prices for your final products.
Simply put, the cost of customising a hoodie depends on two factors:
- the price of an average hoodie, and
- how much profit you are aiming to make.
You can find hoodies in the UK for anywhere between £20 and £30. That is your starting number. Add to it the cost of all the supplies you need to finalise the product and all the fees you might need to pay (like taxes). Afterwards, count in how much your time and skills are worth.
In the end, you will get a good estimation of how much it will cost you to make a custom hoodie. From there, you can work out the price of your custom hoodies. But keep in mind that you need to find a balance between making a profit and not being too expensive for your target audience.
At Hoodies4Leavers, we sell hoodies wholesale and in bulk, helping you stay stocked all the time. What’s more important, we offer competitive prices, ensuring everyone, from seasoned business owners to newly graduated art majors, can stay within budget. For more info on special deals and discounts, contact our customer support.